Thursday, December 11, 2008

entertain the shop girl

I've been working at the shop all day ...it's Christmas time... it's retail... it's been a long, long day.




One of the students, Stefan, brought my a Bust magazine. His girlfriend works as an editor for them in NYC (uber wow). Bust is a modern feminist/fashion/craft/lady mag, and I need a subcription... not only for the "one handed read" in the back pages (ahem).


Anyway, I happened to read about Lily McElroy, it brought quite a bit of personal entertainment to this shop girl. I thought I'd share the link for your enjoyment, too.


Lily is a performance artist, as well as photographer, as well as comedian. Her videos are all funny, but her photo series "I throw Myself At Men" (figure A) is my favorite. She goes around and takes photos of herself, jumping into the arms of male strangers... what commentary, what silliness, what a great idea!



Check it out: http://www.lillymcelroy.com/


Figure A. Here's Lily in action. Wa-Bam!

Also in the issue, is comedian John Roberts. Emily told me about him at Knitting Brigade the other night. Jackie and Debra (figure A), as well as Mothers Day take me off on a ROFLCOPTER... but not at work, obvi...gotta stay grounded.



Figure B

3 comments:

lisa butterworth said...

glad to see my man is spreading the good word! i think you should kidnap him for an nyc roadtrip to the craftacular this weekend! otherwise, hopefully we'll get to meet the next time i'm in the ro. :)

Olga L. said...

lisa! hey! yes!

thanks for the freebie Bust, it's definitely my favorite lady publication.

hope to meet you, too, be it NYC or good ol' Rochester :)

Anonymous said...

No, I am Stephen. Yay!